- 16 tablespoons (225g) salted butter, at room temperature (plus more for the pan)
- 3 1/4 cups (390g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) sugar
- 7 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of dark rum
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 1 tablespoon of whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter a 9 inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour & sugar. Make a well in the centre and add 6 of the egg yolks to it. Mix together the ingredients with your hands, gradually incorporating the butter, rum and vanilla seeds.
- When the dough is smooth, shape it into a round about 9 inches in diameter. Transfer it to the prepared pan and flatten with your palms to fill the pan evenly.
- In a small bowl, mix the final egg yolk with the milk. Brush the cake with the egg wash, and use a fork to score decorative lines in the top of the cake.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown (a knife or toothpick comes out cleanly), about 35 minutes. Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes before unmoulding. Serve warm, or at room temperature.