Croquettes with Jambon de Bayonne
- 1 lb (450g) Russet potatoes
- 1 cup (90g) shredded cheese (like compte or gruyere)
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) Creme Fraiche
- 1/4 Teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 6 slices of Jambon de Bayonne (substitute Prosciutto), chopped
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 cup (60g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) Panko or unseasoned bread crumbs
- Salt & Pepper
- Chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Peel and cube potatoes. Put in saucepan, covered with salted water. Boil until tender (about 15 minutes). Drain and mash. Add the cheese, butter, creme fraiche, nutmeg and ham.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. Put the flour in a second bowl and the breadcrumbs in a third. Shape the potato mixture into small balls, about the size of a walnut (the recipe should yield 10-12 balls). Dust with flour, egg to coat then roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry in oil until golden brown.
- Season hot croquette with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley and serve.